Choosing an energy-efficient clothes washer and following a few simple tips can save you money on your natural gas, electricity and water bills.
Energy Conservation Tips
- Wash full loads or adjust the water level to fit the size of your load.
- Save up to 10% on water heating costs by washing and rinsing your clothes in cold water.
- Select a laundry detergent formulated to clean effectively in cold water.
Appliance Selection Tips
- When buying a new clothes washer use Energy Guide labels to help you choose an energy-efficient model.
- Consider replacing your old, inefficient clothes washer with a new ENERGY STAR® model. There are both top-loading and front-loading high efficiency models to choose from depending on your needs and preferences. High efficiency clothes washers can save up to 50% in energy costs. Check with your local water utility to see if they have rebates for new energy-efficient clothes washers.
- Choose clothes washers with energy-saving features:
- Temperature controls, so you can choose cold-water settings.
- Water level controls, so you can use less water for small loads.
- Pre-soaking option, to help clothes get clean with a shorter wash cycle.
- A high-speed spin cycle for better water removal and reduced drying time.
- Check for available rebates.
Where can I buy Energy Star products?
Visit the ENERGY STAR store locator