Leaky ducts can waste energy used to heat and cool your home. In fact, about 20 percent of the air that moves through the duct system is lost due to leaks, holes, and poorly connected ducts.
Energy Conservation Tips
- Have your ducts tested for air leakage.
- If you suspect an air duct problem, have a contractor check behind registers, in your crawlspace, or in the attic for crushed, disconnected, or leaky ducts.
- Ducts should be repaired with mastic- type sealant, not duct tape.
- Clean your ducts to increase the airflow and minimize contaminates released by the duct system.
- Insulate heating or air-conditioning system ducts with 1” to 2” of insulating batting.
- Be sure a well-sealed vapor barrier exists on the outside of the insulation on cooling ducts to prevent moisture buildup.