Several weeks prior to your installation, we will mail you a letter to let you know we'll be in your area to upgrade your natural gas meter. In most cases, the advanced meter will be installed on the existing analog gas meter (some meters may require a routine replacement).
Installation is easy:
- SoCalGas employees will install advanced meters Monday–Friday, 7 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Installation typically takes about 15 minutes to complete
- In most cases, you will not need to be present, and you should not have an interruption to your service.
In some instances, we may need to replace your entire meter, which, on occasion, may require us to temporarily turn off your gas service to complete this work. During replacement, if your meter is identified as one that requires us to temporarily turn off your gas service, we will make our best attempts to coordinate with you so we can arrange a convenient time for you to complete the work and to relight your gas pilot lights and check your gas appliances. We will leave a door hanger with contact information and instructions as to how to schedule a follow-up appointment.
Be sure to let other family members or tenants know about the upcoming installation. And provide safe access to your natural gas meter by:
- Clearing any obstructions, trimming vegetation;
- Unlocking any cabinets or gates that would block access and, as always;
- Confining your dog away from the gas meter.
Once you receive your advanced meter, you may still see our employees in the area to complete installations and to conduct quality assurance tests on our system. Once validated, advanced meters will automatically read and transmit your gas usage information to our customer service and billing center.
We will notify you when your information is available to view. The easiest way will be through My Account. If you’re not one of the nearly two million customers who already enjoy the convenience of the online billing, payment and service offerings of My Account, sign up now.