Leaking gas from any damaged pipeline or gas meter could cause a fire, explosion, property damage and serious bodily injury.
Follow these guidelines if you encounter a leaking gas pipe or meter:
- REMAIN calm.
- DON'T light a match, candle or cigarette.
- DON'T turn electrical devices on or off, including light switches.
- DON'T start an engine or use any device, including a telephone, which could cause a spark.
- IMMEDIATELY EVACUATE the area, and from a safe location, call SoCalGas at 1-800-427-2200 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- CALL 911 promptly after evacuating the area if the damage results in a natural gas leak that may endanger life or cause bodily harm or property damage.
- DO NOT attempt to control the leak or repair the damaged pipe or meter.
- DO NOT use or turn off any equipment that could cause a spark. Motorized or electrically powered equipment or vehicles may create an ignition source if a gas leak is present. Safely abandon any motorized or powered equipment or vehicles. Gas leaking from a plastic pipe can create static electricity that can ignite the gas.
- For further information: How to recognize and respond to a natural gas leak.
Even if you do not suspect a leak, but you suspect damage to the pipeline, you should call SoCalGas at 1-800-427-2200 24 hours a day, seven days a week.